Kelly, Louis, and Ruby

Our baby girl arrived 8 weeks early on July 7th, 2008 weighing just 3 pounds 3 ounces. After 33 long days in the NICU, Ruby finally came home with us and the fun began. We are one blessed family.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Patience

Thanks to those who have asked how I am doing! Honestly, being too busy to think about it made healing from the c-section easier in my opinion. Despite having certain restrictions, I'm feeling pretty good, and haven't needed the motrin in a few days. I continue pumping breast milk every 2 to 3 hours, so although my baby isn't with me, I still don't get a lot of sleep during the night! Good practice right? I hope to be able to breast feed once Ruby is able to handle it, but in the meantime pumping is the only option. As a preemie, breast milk is even more important than it is for the average newborn, so I'm determined to stick with it despite how challenging it has been with the added complications of the high blood pressure and medication.

Louis is hanging in there too, and has been by my side everyday all day. I'm so lucky to have him as my husband and as the father on my darling daughter. Sometimes I just stare at him because I love him so much. He's taking such good care of me, and he gave me my daughter after all! I am so thankful for him...

Ruby continues to do great each day that passes. Today they moved her to her big girl bed! The standard "crib" that newborns get... They've increased her feeds to 20 ml, and she continues to digest it well. She still gets to try bottle feeding twice a day, although earlier she only ate 5 before passing out. (Last night she sucked it down!) She still has a few events each day, but they are usually brief and resolve on their own. I can't wait for those to go away! But I know they're normal for babies at this stage... We know she'll get there in time, and I just continue to remind myself to be patient. I want her to come home, but I want her to be healthy more. But needless to stay, each night I leave my heart in the NICU.

...But in other good news, Ruby now weighs 3 pounds 5 ounces! Hopefully as she continues to eat milk, it will only go up from here =)

No comments: