Kelly, Louis, and Ruby

Our baby girl arrived 8 weeks early on July 7th, 2008 weighing just 3 pounds 3 ounces. After 33 long days in the NICU, Ruby finally came home with us and the fun began. We are one blessed family.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

6 Month Check Up


We took Ruby to see Dr. Hansen yesterday morning and overall it went great. Ruby weighs 13 pounds 13 ounces and is just over 24 inches long, keeping her on the charts for a 6 month old. He checked her ears, eyes, and throat and all are looking good. He did detect a heart flow murmur, which he explained is not a "bad" murmur, just something to be aware of. (Thankfully, I've taken enough anatomy classes to know what he was taking about and that there truely is nothing to worry about.) He even let me listen to it, very interesting!

I asked the doctor if he would be sending us for a developmental analysis, as they often do for preemies once they reach 6 months. He looked surprised! He said if he didn't already know she was a preemie, he wouldn't be able to tell at all. She's doing so amazingly, that there is no cause for concern, and that whatever we're doing, to keep doing it!

Dr. Hansen even asked that we do a trial off of her relux medication, Prilosec. If we see an increase in spitting up that concerns us, or her pain symptoms return, we will of course restart the medication until her next checkup. So wish us luck!

Finally, he gave us the go ahead to start introducting solids. He said Ruby can eat what she wants, and as much as she wants. haha. Lucky girl! We've already tried bananas, and she didn't seem particualarly impressed, but I'm sure in no time she'll be eating everything in sight like her Daddy =)

I love our pediatrician. No matter what concerns or worries I walk in there with, I always walk away feeling reassured and empowered. Unfortunately, every check up always has to end with vaccinations, which definitely sucks! Ruby got three of her regular vaccinations, and her first flu shot, since she is now 6 months old. It's heartbreaking to see your baby cry in pain. This was by far the worst round yet. She stopped crying as soon as I picked her up, but later that afternoon we could tell she did not feel well. She was crying off an on until she finally went to bed at 5pm, a few hours early.

She woke up to eat and then was back to sleep again. Apparently she was feeling better by midnight though, because she woke up yelling, laughing, and singing her bed! And did this off and on the rest of night =) That's my baby! Got to love her...

1 comment:

Martha Compton said...

Ruby is soooo cute! Our pedi's name is Dr. Hansen, too. I'm glad she's doing so well!